Surgery results.

I feel like lately a lot of my titles have been, “I’m Home!!!” Just to say it once more as an unofficial title, I am home!!! 😀 Actually, I have been home since last night. I got discharged around 3pm, and we got home around 5pm-ish. I am so thankful for that! I took a nap in the car and when we got home. I was to lay flat for the rest of the evening, so I ate a soup supper in bed and then ventured out to the couch to read for a bit before heading back to bed. Lots of sleeping. 😀 I feel much better today. They wanted me to get around normally doing things but still take it easy. I just have done things today like getting dressed, got myself breakfast/lunch, walked around from the kitchen to my room…and I also took another nap this afternoon. A pleasant day of recovery.

But now you are probably wondering how the surgery went. First, thanks for praying for peace about being put to sleep. Because I have a medi-port and told them again about being nervous/last experience, they decided that accessing my port and putting the anesthesia in my port would be faster in putting me to sleep. They were right! My parents came back with me to the hallway right where the surgery room is and they were there as they put in the anesthesia…and then I was just out. No going into the room, putting on the mask…nothing. I just went right to sleep right there in the hallway even before they pushed me into the room! A much better experience this time! I am thankful for that option and would choose it again if I ever had another surgery. They did have two other IV’s in my right arm, but they did not bug me and were taken out shortly after I woke up in the recovery section.

When I woke up, I was so confused…just typical after surgery groggy-ness. My parents came back and I asked, “I am done?” LOL. I was not in the recovery area for very long, and then headed home. Dad drew me a chart to explain things so I could understand…so I hope I can explain it to you so you can understand as well. The surgery went very well and it was still a good thing to have it done so we now understand what is going on. The most important things to know:

First, the Lovenox had already dissolved the new clot, so there was none to be taken out (which was a good thing). I will remain on the Lovenox until next week when I have my final whole day of seeing doctors (Jan 31st…my three-month check up with a round of different doctors). I also see the main doctor for the blood clot that day as well. Depending on what the doctor says, I may continue the shots for a while, but will most likely wean off the shots and take the Warfarin pill…for the rest of my life.

And second, they found that the clot from last year still had a large amount of the clot left. It is so hard and stuck in the vein, that the vein no longer is used. The artery was not the problem and since the vein is no longer being used, they did not put in a stent either. What they found was that my body had made new veins that branch from the left to the right across my back and that takes the blood around to the heart that way. They were happy to see that my body had already done this on its own. To be honest, I had NO idea that your body can make new veins! The more I learn about my body and what is happening on the inside, the more I am amazed at how God created our bodies in such detail!

There is always the risk that I can get another clot. Only God knows that and only He knows why I have had this clot…or even the last one. Doctors cannot pinpoint any answers and I don’t think we will ever know, but I am at peace about that too. I will most likely wear a compression stocking for a long while and will remain on the blood thinners (possibly) for life. It may help decrease that chance for another clot.

Right now, the back of my left leg is just a small wound. It is right behind my knee so bending it sometimes pinches, but I am walking more normal and put up my feet when I sit. I am not allowed to drive until Friday, but I get to shower tomorrow (glorious!). I feel getting back to normal routines will come quickly, but still going to take time to rest up and nap this week…as that is important too! It is snowy and cold outside, so it sort of gives me a good excuse to sit with a cup of tea and do some reading/rest anyway.

Thanks for all your prayers, emails, and texts! I am so overwhelmed at how our family has been wrapped around with love and support and prayers. 🙂


PS. I have been singing this song today:
“How Can I Keep from Singing” by Chris Tomlin


Filed under Adjusting to NF2, Family Times, Hospital Trips

6 responses to “Surgery results.

  1. Sheri Garner Tearpak

    So glad that it went well and that you are home! I’m sure you are relieved to have the surgery behind you. I didn’t know anyone’s body could make new veins either! Wow, God’s design is so amazing, and you are one amazing young lady! Hugs.

  2. Tanis Huebner

    This is good news!

  3. Esther Morford

    So happy for a GOOD report. I look forward to reading your blog. Love ya’.

  4. Shelia Bower

    We are so glad to hear that it all went well! We have been praying and will continue. Keep us posted! Love ya girl! 🙂

  5. Megan

    Yeah when I heard that your body had grown new veins I was like, What?! That’s so cool:D Love and prayers for your upcoming Doctor visits on the 31st. XOXO, Megs

    • mel

      Isn’t that the best part and so amazing!?!?! I just can’t get over it either! 😀 Thanks for praying. I will update about the doctor appointments this week for sure! I think it is just going to be a lot of talk, but I have questions and so that will be good to finalize things (I hope for the next 3 months until my next MRI) 🙂 xo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s